Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 14:51:30 +1000
From:      Joel Sutton <sutton@aardvark.apana.org.au>
To:        ballhog@firstnethou.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - why??

> I am currently running Win95, what i would like to know is, why would i
> want to change OS's? I know win95 has some quirks, but i also know it
> worked fine.

Why is THE question and only you can really answer it. If your current
setup does everything you want then you probably don't need to change
anything.

> I would also like to know, would FreeBSD be able to run normal dos based
> software, i am assuming it won't since it is UNIX based.  If it can't,
> then what exactly should i get FreeBSD for?

The most stable dos emulation software only runs text based
applications. There are other emulators available but UNIX based
applications is where FreeBSD is at.

> This is my situation, i am ALLWAYS on the net, i'n sort of hooked.  I
> also play lot's of games via network card with my roomate, ie...
> Warcraft, Diablo' Domm etc.. etc..  I would like to remain able to
> connect to the internet and run Netscape etc... and play those games
> etc... and i just bought a Connectix Quickcam for use with CuSeeMe, so i
> would really like to continue enjoying these things.

Check out the Software section of the FreeBSD web site to see what is
available (www.freebsd.org).

> Can FreeBSD do any of this? and in your honest opinion, should i trash
> Win95 and go with FreeBSD?  I'm open-minded, i'll try anything if it
> will work with all the things i like to do.

Some it can - some it cannot. From your message it sounds like your
setup does everything you want so stick with it as it is.

Thats MY opinion. ;->

Why is the BIG question. I changed from DOS/Windows to FreeBSD
because I wanted an operating system that was stable, fast, logical
and programmable - at a minimum cost. Dollar figures aside, Windows
couldn't do that for me.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Cheers, Joel...