Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:05:11 +0000
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        Lutz Kittler <Lutz.Kittler@sse-erfurt.de>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: use extended partition for freebsd

>I have a problem installing freebsd. I have a machine with an
>old BIOS and 2 disks in it. First disk is 1.6 GB with linux.
>On the second disk I want to install FreeBSD and OpenBSD
>for learning and testing. This disk has about 10 GB and 19650
>cylinders. I installed FreeBSD on this disk and tried to boot
>it by LILO from first disk, but get only "-".
>So I thought FreeBSD boot partition has to be in the first 1024
>cylinders.
>After reading many documentations I wanted to do:
>
>- create boot-slice ad2s1 ( about 180 MB ) which contains only /
>- create a slice ( may be 4GB )in extended partition for all
>  other swap, /tmp, /var and /usr
>
>The problem I have, I cannot tell FreeBSD during the installation
>process to use the slice in the extended partition.

You should ask technical questions of questions@freebsd.org however:

You will need a primary partition on which to install FreeBSD and I
think the same applies for OpenBSD.  Also, you may be confused by
slice/partition nomenclature.  What DOS calls a partition, Unix calls
a slice.  If you can split the HD into two primary DOS partitions
FreeBSD will see them as ad2s1 and ad2s2 (slice 1 and 2 respectively)
you can then create filesystems within ad2s1 for / swap /usr etc. as
required.  These will be seen as ad2s1a etc.

HTH
John.