Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 11:48:35 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any luck with EE Pro/10?

Firstly, this might not be of help in finding problems, more of a guide
that others are still having problems.

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Wes Santee wrote:
> 'Lo all.  Are there specific problems with the ex driver in 2.2 that I
> should know about?

I'm not sure about specific problems, but I've experienced some rather
serious problems with the etherexpress cards as well under
3.0-970209-SNAP, and -current. I just didn't get round to reporting them
yet as I thought I was just being stupid again. (often the case)

I don't know which driver you are using but, I've been using ex, and I've
not tried ie yet, but I'm under the impression that most EE's are 82597
based and that ie(4) drives only the 82586 (according to the man page).

I've noticed the following:
- unable to use UTP, works to some extent over BNC.
- unable to multicast etc. (this is documented in source though)
- need to ifconfig many times with different (+)/-link<x> options
  many times before my EE works to any extent.
- Almost consistent failure to detect which network port is being used,
  the driver always seems to say UTP, regardless of softset or cabling.

I don't think any of these problems were due to incorrect setting from
softset either, as I've not had problems detecting the card yet. Mainly
the problems are with the driver just not working.

I expect some other people are having the same problems as well, I didn't
have time to mess about last time and just swapped in a DE21140. It's
often faster and I beleive there are some known problems with the EE
Pro10 not actually being able to multicast properly due to it not being a
very good card. (I'd normally phrase that differently!)

--
Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.