Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:30:01 -0500
From:      Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network renumbering (Yack!)

daniel B wrote:
> I dreaded this moment would come but I am in a position that I need to
> change upstream and all DNS info is going to change, customer workstations
> may have to be reconfigured ...
> Since I haven't done this before what is the least painful way to handle
> this task? is there a documented procedure/how-to somewhere?
> Realy don't want to start guessing.

We're in the middle of that right now, and all I can really think of to
say is..."Sorry."  :-(

It's rough.  We started by giving our servers multiple IP addresses, one
old and one new.  We then moved our customers over slowly - first all of
the static IP addresses, and then each phone number depending on how it
was tied to a router.  We hired an outside consultant to do some of our
network customers, which was a mistake.

You just have to be patient...:)

SeanMike

--
SeanMike Whipkey - highway@cstone.net - http://www.cstone.net
Engineering Department, Cornerstone Networks, Inc. - 804.817.7000