Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:51:28 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:06:51 -0500 (EST), Chuck Robey
> <chuckr@glue.umd.edu> wrote:
>
> >If the only thing that you can see are wasted opportunities to make bucks,
> >why are you involved with a volunteer OS?  I personally think it's because
> >you *like* messing around with FreeBSD ... isn't that so?
> >

> It started as a hobby but now my interest is primarily for business
> use.

Great!  This is how a lot of serious organisations first come to meet
FreeBSD, and it's a testament to the product that it covers both sides
of the coin as well as it does.

> If FreeBSD developers don't want their "volunteer" project to grow
> into a well funded organization, another group will come along who do.
> And they can easily take all the work done by the poor volunteers and
> call their own project BigBucksBSD or whatever they like.

Sure, that's what the BSD spirit is all about.  In fact, this has
happened already.  It's called BSD/OS though, not BigBucksBSD.

> I expect there will be a market demand for this, and some enterprising
> developers will step in to fill that demand.

I expect that your perspective will broaden with time.  Right now, all
we are asking you to do is to look and listen for a while.  The people
that are steering the FreeBSD project all have extensive project
development experience; I would hesitate to broadly criticise their
style without a lot more information than you can possibly posess.