Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:28:06 -0700
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        alvermark@teligent.se
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone have a YMF740 driver?

>If I remember correctly, someone was trying to do what you are doing some
>months ago, and he didn't get it to work. I also think Luigi said that I
>shouldn't be much of a problem doing that, but the legacy mode is not very
>good(what is it? 8-bit mono or something).

Well, it emulates some kind of soundblaster; I assume at least
16-bit stereo but I guess I have no real idea.

>What we want is to drive the card
>in "native" mode, and get full quality, but it seems hard (if not
>impossible) to get Yamaha to release specs.

The PCI register layout for the YMF740 and others are available from
Yamaha's web site.  I don't think that all of the details are in the
documents but I think there's enough there for someone who's written
such a driver before to make a lot of progress.

  Bill