Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2012 10:20:33 -0400
From:      animelovin@gmail.com
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@x0.dk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

On 06/01/2012 09:12 AM, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> Daniel Kalchev (daniel) writes:
>>
>> It will sure be interesting to learn what people avoid to use FreeBSD for.
>
> 	* full virtualization
>
> 	I am using VirtualBox in production with HAST + ZVOLs, but we need
> 	something like DRBD's dual master mode to be able to do a teleport of the
> 	instance like Ganeti does (http://code.google.com/p/ganeti/) with Linux
>
> 	Getting Xen dom0 and/or KVM would be a major boost as a virtualization
> 	platform, in particular with ZFS.
>
> 	* Gluster
>
> 	For very large FSes, nothing beats it, especially now that 3.3 has been
> 	released.
>
> 	Mind you, I've been using FreeBSD for about 19 years, so I'm not about
> 	to change, but the two items above would go a long way to help FreeBSD
> 	grow in the data center space again (what the kids call the cloud :)
>
> 	Cheers,
> 	Phil

Thanks for the info and the interesting thread.

Thinking about it now I'm not sure I would continue using FreeBSD
knowing it become a solution for advanced TCP/IP node routing and
clustering over the "clouds".

I guess this depends whatever is meant theses days with the so called
technical vocabulary to hidden concepts too abstract for the common
mortal, thus pretending its "state-of-the-art", or sometimes an
abstraction of a logical software unit using advanced technologies
harboring eugenic like dehumanization and even potentially harmful to
FreeBSD users as for example the intrisic inclusion of IEEE 80211 OFDM
modulation scheme within the wireless code base.

However I still love FreeBSD and use it along with Linux for playing
games and working, but definitely not for HAST based storage, a good
example of a technology driven by political hierarchies and more or less
by the FreeBSD community, naively adopting technologies without
understanding the science and implications beneath such things...

Its just common sense or intuition I guess.. :)

Kind regards,
Etienne