Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:28:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        paulo@main.fiscodata.com.br
Cc:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua, J.Hogeveen@twiddle.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal-11

>   I have a 486 machine that frequently trashes files. Sometimes,
> while doing a large compile, gcc will not understand the C language
> anymore ;), doing the *same* error always. A simple reboot and recompile
> works fine.
>   The most common problems is the gcc executable file image being loaded
> incorrectly from disk or the file it is compiling. I think the real problem
> with this machine may be the hard disk, but the cause of the repeteable
> failures is the file cache with wrong data.

Sounds like a problem with your RAM, cache ram, MB, or uP, with RAM
being the most likely.  You're not overclocking, are you?  (If you
are, just set it to spec and try again, and *don't* mention it to the
list right now; I don't want to have to delete the ensuing rubbish.)

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan