Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:27:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Noses <noses@noses.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Casing wanted

In article <36F7B20351634E4FBFFE6C6A216B30D54C1F@ecx1.edifecs.com> MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM (Michael VanLoon) wrote:
> Hmmm...  Are you sure just biting the bullet and going SCSI raid wouldn't be
> a better solution in this case?

Both servers are running right now. I've gone the cheapest route and used
Chenbro Net series casings (with as much power as possible). First tests
show that 3ware's RAID5 isn't really up to fast writing (but vinum isn't
either) but the 8 Maxtor 80 GB IDE drives are actually faster than vinum on
8 IBM DDYS (36GB) connected to a AHA29160. Using the 3ware RAID as 0+1 is
quite fast, only the third alternative (having a SCSI-to-SCSI RAID
controller behind the Adaptec controller) gave us even more (especially
write) performance. I didn't get the numbers, just relative comparisons and
it looks like 3ware is giving most bang/bucks although I'd have preferred
them to use SCSI based servers. Well... I'm just waiting for the first admin
to open one of the planned IDE boxes and strangling himselv with all those
IDE cables...

Bottom line: The 3ware Escalade 6000 series isn't that bad as it seems...

Noses.