Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:56:30 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, freebsd-git@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beta git conversion available for experimentation

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 18:48, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 4:32 PM Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> wr=
ote:

>> Do we have any doc on managing contrib using the git model?
>
> We're working on our suggested best practices.  We're making sure that th=
e early testing we did to come up with the basics can be replicated easily =
enough for it to be practical.

> There will be a doc going over all the following in detail, but here's th=
e outline.

> git subtree allows one to merge in other repos into our main repo w/o use=
rs of that repo needing to grab the merged in repos. We plan on making what=
 we call vendor branches today vendor repos. We'd then do a git subtree mer=
ge from that repo as it tracks upstream.

Also, I described my first experiments with git subtree earlier:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-git/2020-January/000221.html