Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:02:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, gallatin@cs.duke.edu, ken@kdm.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCIOCGETCONF/PCIOCREAD requires write permission?

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> I'm not trying to foster a war here.  There seems to be enough of
> that anyway.  But unless this PCI register reading thingie is an
> issue for i386 boxen (and I don't think it is) we shouldn't cripple
> functionality on the i386 for the Alpha.

Allowing programs direct access to hardware is Windows 95's thing,
though.  We don't want to tread on its turf.

Seriously, though.  There must be some way to abuse such direct access to
the pci configuration registers.  Just because nobody has figured it out
how yet doesn't mean that enabling the feature is a good idea.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack