Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 00:29:27 -0400
From:      "DCMC Customer Liaison" <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel:  Lost Configuration

 Well, I don't know what else it could have been.  I lost the list that
tells what Shell scripts are installed.  I lost the password file, including
root - after it rebooted and none of the users worked, I tried root and it
logged on without asking for a password.  I also noticed the CD-ROM wouldn't
load to reinstall the files.  I did a mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/wcd0a
/cdrom
and it listed OK, then I went back, while it was still mounted, and I could
once again load things from the CD-ROM.  Now I added back in the Shells
(which didn't leave, but weren't "valid" according to the tables).  Now when
I add users the shells are again valid.  I also lost the PROFILE from the
/ETC directory.

p.s.  One change just occurred to me.  When I went to make the kernel, the
source files weren't there.  When I added them from the CD-ROM, it seemed to
be a doing an INSTALL from scratch.  Could it have overwritten everything
then?  I was under the impression I was just adding the source files?

---Mike