Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 1995 20:38:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@clark.net>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   originally a newsgroup post, but news server here isn't working

Subject: FreeBSD 2.0.5R: need disklabel help
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

My installation of 2.0.5 provied messy from the beginning -- where 2.0R
installed the first time it took an epic 10attempts (and 3 trashed
partition tables) to get 2.0.5R to even install the binary installation
on my system.  Admittadly it's a 386sx20 w/4megs of ram, but that's
supposedly the min platform line or such.

The problem is essentially this:

1) sysinstall has problems with memory -- first it started killing its
own processed (hadn't set up swap yet, hadn't given me a chance, but was
still complaining).  sysinstall killed off rather vital applications,
such as the newfs of the root partition, etc.  Eventually this worked,
but for no discernable reason.  It should have worked the 3rd time
running, but apparently something cleared out of memory (?).

2) Having the ppp installation line go down trashes the installation
program, locking up the ppp dialer and not letting you reload a further
installation.  Or at the least, ppp quits, but you can't load another
copy.  My ppp line went down three times during the installation process
(ten isntallations is a lot of time connected) since the default packet
timeout was 1:30 and sometimes processing a file took longer.  I also had
a problem with ppp freezing or not talking to the modem.  when the line
went down, I typically lost my partition table and couldn't boot anything
(either of my dos partitions on two drives, for example.)  Thank god for
Norton, which rebuilt the partitions.

This isn't to say that I don't love FreeBSD ;).  We run our main router
on 2.0R beautifully (although its a slightly higher end machine) -- my
system is a bottom end system we do installations on to see if software
is reall as stable as it claims.

Right now I have the binary installation on the disk, and the X
installation, etc.  I set up a ping process on the shell on ttyv4 during
the installation to stop the ppp line from dropping, and set the timeout
to an hour (assuming that would be enough.)  When I got back, it had
installed fine, but the system froze shortly afterwards when I tried to
abort part of sysinstall.  (pressing ctrl-c results in a reboot of
sysinstall is locked, because answering no gets you stuck again waiting
between dialogs, and yes reboots.)  Sysinstall never installed my boot
blocks, so I have to stick in a floppy, and at the floppies boot prompt,
type in wd(1,a)/kernel.  So I'm ppp'd right now, and happy, except that I
can't boot the system without a floppy in the drive.  I also found that
no /dev/tty0? files were created for my comm ports, which left the
Xconfig program confused, as it suggested /dev/tty00 as a possible mouse
device, but there wasn't one (after linking random tty files to
/dev/mouse, I eventually found /dev/ttyid0 for the mouse on com1.)

Now I'm doing complaining, it's time for praise ;).  The performance on
my 386sx20 is dramatically better under 2.0.5R than 2.0R w/4 megs of
ram.  It swaps, but not as insanely as before ;).  If the boot problem
can be fixed easily (I just don't know the unix side commands to install
a boot label/manager from freebsd) then I'll go ahead with my router
installation (routes several ethernets -- pricingwise beats normal
routers into the ground, since we don't do too much heavy stuff on our
ethernets.)  I assume a lot of the problems with sysinstall were RAM
related -- I don't know what the processes were that died (all it
reported on the debug screen was the process ids, not the names) -- they
probably didn't do something they were meant to as a result, meaning some
installation portions never occured.

Boot assistance would be great -- I have a 230 meg FreeBSD slice on wd1
(a maxtor 540 drive) and a 130 meg dos slice on wd0 (130 meg maxtor
drive) and a 270 meg and 40 meg slice on wd1 again.  (eg., freebsd should
boot off of wd(1,a)/kernel -- which it did one installation, only the
sysinstall program never installed all of the binary installation that
time ;).

Thanks..

--
Robert Watson   rwatson@sidwell.edu   http://www.sidwell.edu/~rwatson/
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature