Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:16:57 -0700
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spam sent to me from my own mail server ?

Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for some time now I keep receiving spam mails from my own (small) mail
> server, some of them with faked usernames some of them even with my own
> (ulrich@...).
>   1) How is this possible?
>   2) What can I or do I have to do against it?
> I am running a quite plain sendmail setup from 7.0 -STABLE.

Look to see if you are running an open relay.  You shouldn't be by
default.  There are websites that will test this for you if you simply
provide the IP of the server.

That's a start.

My SPAM policy is something like this.  Spammers win. feh!  It's not the
best policy, but it requires the least effort on my part.

Regards,
Jason