Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:21:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@alpine.net>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, dennis wrote:

> At 08:17 AM 8/14/97 -0500, Edwin Culp wrote:
> >Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:

> FreeBSD

> >> Dennis will probably remind you to look at www.etinc.com regarding
> >> synchronous serial cards.
> >
> >But will he actually sell them?

> Any what does this mean, oh mighty one?
>
> Dennis

I think he is wondering if you will make a sale.  I have considered
your cards myself, but have chosen cisco and Ascend instead.

My "typical" router is one T1 and one Ethernet.

Etinc: (new)       Ascend: (new)           cisco: (used)
---------------    ---------               -----------
 $550  5025 card   $1025  Pipeline 130     $1200  2501 (used)
 $125  cable       $ n/a  v.35 cable n/a   $  ??  cable may be included
 $400  DSU/CSU     $ n/a  DSU/CSU          $ 400  DSU/CSU
----               ------                  -----
$1075 (w/o host)   $1025  ready to go      $1600  ready to go

+ $50  to add F/R    + 0  included           $ 0  included

Yes, I *DO UNDERSTAND* that *BSD is much more powerful for
routing...  But I know how to set up cisco and Ascend.

Your web page documentation could benefit greatly if you would put
your manuals, tips, and configuration information online.  You see,
I want to know everything about the job *BEFORE I BUY*.

If I could get your basic 5025 with cable for $250 to $300, I would
probably get one for experimentation.  And it everything went well,
start using your products instead of cisco and Ascend.  But I am not
going to spend close to $700 just to find out.  Heck, I just got 2
used Pipeline 130 routers (T1/ISDN) for less than $700 each...

I hope you don't take this as a grip, but if you do, please consider
it that I really would like to try your products... but the price is
too high and I need a chance to build confidence in them.

All the best,

-Richard

Richard Hodges    |    (702) 888-3000
Alpine Internet   |   400 Fairview Drive
rh@alpine.net     |   Carson City, NV 89701
member, ISP/C