Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:09:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com> wrote:
 > If you are NOT using FreeBSD for any area or some areas , would you please
 > list those areas with most important first to least important last ?

ISDN.  This is popular in Germany, but I don't know about
the rest of the world.

We have a machine that has an ISDN card (ISA).  Currently
it's still running FreeBSD 6-stable because that's the last
version with full ISDN support.  Since 6.x went EOL, it
costed me quite some time to keep it up to date with regard
to security fixes.  And now, since a few days, the Makefiles
of the ports collection started to become incompatible with
FreeBSD 6 (make(1) throws syntax errors) so I can't update
BIND port anymore, for example.  Of course I could build it
manually, but this is costing more and more time, so finally
I will have to think of a different solution, which probably
means something other than FreeBSD.

Other than that, well, there are the typical programs that
are only available for Windows.  For example the software
for configuring my Logitech "Harmony" remote control.  I'm
using my wife's laptop (Windows) for that.  But of course
I'm not blaming FreeBSD for that, because it's not something
that FreeBSD can fix, it's rather a vendor problem (in the
aforementioned case: Logitech's problem).

Best regards
   Oliver