Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 17:03:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86 Makefile ports/x11/XFree86/patches patch-ac

(Moved to -current, since this is nothing the ports team could solve.)

As Ollivier Robert wrote:

> There is worse: the binaries for FreeBSD-current (at the time of release of
> 3.2) are referencing libc.so.3.0 but they're not compatible anymore with
> the current libc due to the utmp changes. Only a recompilation works.

Note that this is basically unrelated to the libc interface, but
rather happens since there is _no_ official library interface for the
utmp/wtmp handling, at least nothing xterm and xdm know about.

Even bumping the shared lib major # wouldn't help in this case: if
you've got an old xterm binary, and still have the libc.so.3 around,
this xterm will happily run away and trash the wtmp file again.

Perhaps we should rip out all the utmp/wtmp handling code out of xterm
and xdm while we are at it, and offer the XFree86 people a patch.
Moving it to libutil would solve the matter once and for all, so
changing utmp.h next time will only require a minor version number
bump for the shared libutil.

--
cheers, J"org