Date:      06 Jul 2002 18:13:39 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: software in /usr/contrib

Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es> writes:
> Moving some software in *strong evolution* (bzip, gzip, zip, Perl,
> and Tcl/Tk) to /usr/contrib will be useful to avoid some problems
> that we saw in the last years in other Unices like Solaris.  A
> description of some of those problems is in [bin/40222].

I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve.

> This practice has been adopted by BSD/OS and HP-UX at least.

Both of these, as well as Solaris, are commercial OSes distributed in
binary form, where OS upgrades are done by applying binary patches or
installing a new binary release on top of the existing system, once
every couple of years or so.  FreeBSD is an open-source OS with a
completely different distribution model, where upgrades are done by
building a new system from updates sources, and happen quite
frequently.  You can't really compare the two.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org