Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 06:24:29 -0500
From:      Carleton Vaughn <keebler@mindspring.com>
To:        Nicolas <lists@serpe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need to monitor when IP Address changes

Nicolas wrote:
> Carleton Vaughn wrote:
>> Dynamic DNS is often free for personal use.  I use DynDNS.org and a
>> Netgear firewall/router.  Works dandy and saves me from having to
>> research my IP every time Earthlink resets my connection.
>
> Are you really sure that they provide a Dynamic DNS for free ? Their
> free service just maps a free url (like "you.dyndns.org") to your IP.

I'm not sure what you mean by "URL" as all traffic to you.dyndns.org
gets routed to your IP.  I have a subdomain under their *.homeunix.net
domain and use it to SSH home from school.  I view this free and
convenient service more than satisfactory for personal use.  The thread
originator said he was willing to locate his machine by IP only; it
follows that if he uses a naming service, he may not be particular about
*what* name he uses, provided there exists *a* name.

> If you want to update real DNS entries on your own domain (like
> "you.com"), you have to pay for the extra "Custom DNS" service. $30 a
> year or something.

This should come as no surprise and I am grateful to anyone who uses
Custom DNS as it subsidizes the free service I take advantage of.

> Do someone know of a good real dynamic DNS update service (with your own
> domain) ?

By good you mean free?
http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/freedns.shtml may provide some
pointers.