Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:14:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        n@nectar.com, freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to

> >I am not advocating making it easy for spammers.  The RBL has been a
> >huge help, and the DUL looks potentially even more helpful.  I just
> >object to blocking legitimate traffic.
>
> The problem is, how can you tell what is legitimate? There's no good
> way, a priori, to distinguish spam from legitimate e-mail. It's only
> the pattern of mailing and/or the content that gives it away.

If someone complains to your postmaster, and can document the
offense, and it violates your AUP, then it's not legitimate, and
you can terminate your contract with the customer as a result of
failure to comply with terms.

> Moreover, in order to detect an abusive pattern of mailing, you need
> to have logging -- which you get when you channel users' mail through
> your server.

Transparent proxy, logging limited to not log potentially sensitive
information, only traffic analysis; shortlived to make it useless
to a court order.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---