Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:20:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Sellens <jsellens@generalconcepts.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   booting from Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI/IDE card?

I have an old machine that was running FreeBSD 4.1.1, with a single
disk, and I wanted to upgrade to something current.

It has one of the RZ-1000 IDE controllers on board, so FreeBSD 4.6
installed just fine, and then failed to boot as it would not find
the disk - it complains about the controller: "RZ 100? ATA controller
!WARNING! buggy chip data loss possible".

So, fine, get a Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI/IDE adapter, put it in,
connect the disk, install runs fine, finds the disk as ad4.  Reboot,
the controller finds the disk, the boot manager prompts:

    F1  FreeBSD

    Default: F1

and then it hangs for a while and then says "Read error".

I checked the troubleshooting guide, and it mentioned that I might
need to set the disk geometry manually in the disk slice configuration.
Tried that, same problem.

Since the controller sees the disk, and I'm getting the boot manager
prompt, I'm guessing that the boot manager is trying to boot off a
non-existent onboard ad1 disk or something?

Any suggestions?  Or should I just break down and buy a better
motherboard?

Thanks very much!

John
jsellens@generalconcepts.com