Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:43:23 +0100
From:      John Angelmo <john@veidit.net>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/Wireless 2011B

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:22:48 +0100
Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org> wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> John Angelmo wrote on Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 08:38:16PM +0100:
> [..]
> > The 2011 card is in the list and not the 2011B, they are diffrent in
> > design so just changing the B won't help.
>
> Well, I'm aware of that, but this seems to me a matter of the
> driver to attach. So maybe the 'wi' driver may not support this
> card. However, it seems, that the CIS info cannot be read properly
> and no driver can be selected to attach to it. Well at least, that's
> how it looks to me.

I have done some work together with Intel, so here's the short history about their card:

Intel and Symbol started a joint development for 802.11b cards where Symbol wouldn't have their own cards but let other companies buy their design.

Symbol decided to launch their own cards (Spectrum24, FreeBSD supports them), the 2011 card from intel is the same but with 2011B Intel added their own stuff (3.3v instead of 5v) and some other things, that's why it's not compatible with the old 2011 drive. The new cards are also WiFi certified ( 2011/Spectrum24 wasn't)

> Adding a line to pccard.conf would provide an entry, that could
> be selected, even if the provided driver 'wi' doesn't work.

Yes but still the wi driver needs to be changed to add support for the 2011B card.

/John