Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:49:52 -0500
From:      Gordon Grieder <grub@grub.net>
Cc:        Ron Smith <ronnetron@hotmail.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Allowing Hotline Service

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Ron Smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for impartial security info on a product called "Hotline" at:
> http://cgi.bigredh.com/index2.html.
>
> I'm trying to decide whether to allow the service through out firewall or
> not. Does anyone out there have any experience with this product/service, as
> far as the security angle is concerned?
>
> Ron Smith

Ron, et al,

The bulk of Hotline use seems to be for warez and mp3 trading.  It
started out as a Mac-only product that was ported to Windows a few years
ago.  If you download the client from www.bigredh.com and configure it
to use a third party server list (available anywhere) that will confirm
what I've said.

Gord