Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2012 00:03:35 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What happened to FreeBSD.org DNS earlier today?

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 15:01:53 -0600
Mark Felder <feld@feld.me> wrote:

> On 10.03.2012 14:43, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > Earlier today, for a period of about 30-45 minutes or so, any
> > attempt to
> > connect to www.freebsd.org was yielding failed hostname lookups.
> >
> > Did anyone else notice this?  Any word on what was causing it?  I
> > have
> > to admit, it was rather startling at first.
>

> Do you have any further details? What are you using for DNS servers,
> or are you doing lookups yourself?

I run named on my box as a caching name server, using my ISP's name
servers with the auto_forward option, with the standard root servers as
a fallback.

Name resolution appeared to be working normally for everything but
FreeBSD during the time this was happening.  The first time I saw it,
my ISP's name servers redirected me to their own page for failed
lookups.  I disabled the auto_forward and restarted named.  The next
time, it was Google Chrome which returned a redirected page.

This went on for, like I said, about 45 minutes, then it all went back
to normal.  First time in the 16 years I've been using FreeBSD that
I've ever seen the site become unreachable.

Was just curious if anyone else noticed this or had any information as
to what happened.  No big whoop.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net