Date:      23 Aug 2000 17:52:28 +0200
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
Subject:   Re: <trademark> tag in the docs

 MO> In the Programmers Tools tutorial there are several uses of the
 MO> <trademark> tag but it appears not to work:

 MO> 	    <trademark>MS-DOS</trademark>

 MO> appears in the doc as:

 MO> 	   MS-DOS&trade

I'm assuming here that you're talking about generating HTML. Correct
me if I'm wrong.

That should work, if there is a non-character after. To make it work
either way, a ';' should be appended.

In /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular/html/dbhtml.dsl, it says:
(("trademark")(make entity-ref name: "trade"))
... which sounds to me as if it should do a real entity reference,
i.e. append a semicolon ...

If the problem is that &trade; don't give the wanted symbol in some
browsers, try &#153; instead.

 MO> [ ... ]

 MO> Also, shouldn't we really acknowledge trademarks, either by using the
 MO> "(TM)" symbol with each instance [ ... ]

This would be what happens now, right?

--
Rasmus Kaj -------------------- rasmus@kaj.se - http://Raditex.se/~kaj/
 \             Time is an illusion; lunchtime--doubly so. -Ford Prefect