Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:50:15 -0800
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing FreeBSD 4.0 20000125-CURRENT

>In this case, I actually assume that the DHCP server will be providing
>the host name

In my case (which I think might actually be fairly common), the DHCP
server doesn't provide a hostname.  In this case, I type in a hostname
which gets later ignored and sysinstall doesn't write anything to rc.conf.
Perhaps if the DHCP server doesn't provide a hostname, sysinstall can
use the one that the user supplied?

>> 2. motd was full of garbage.  I realize now that I should have saved it
>> but I wasn't really thinking.
>
>Huh?

When I logged in, I thought the machine had freaked out and locked up
because there was all sorts of garbage (mostly 8-bit characters) on the
screen, but on further examination it was just the contents of /etc/motd.
It would be much easier to explain if I had saved it =)

I can't repeat the keyboard thing, so I can't expect you to -- just
something annoying that happened.

I dunno what to suggest about /usr/X11R6/lib/aout.  Earlier X
distributions came with it; perhaps just copy the directory from an
earlier one?

  Bill