Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:20:57 -0400
From:      "László L. Orosz" <oll@nais.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation Prerequisites

--------------AFA07A2641229A987911D6A8

 Hi,

In your installation manual, in section 2.2.1, you state that  "Once you
have booted from DOS or floppy, you should then be able to select CDROM
at the media type in the Media menu and load the entire distribution
from CDROM."  Before I would hit the Enter key, however, I like to know
something more about the destination of that loading!  The manual does
not deal with installation prerequisites in terms of required number,
type (primary/logical), and size of disk partitions for native freeBSD,
swap and other required or optional partitions; does not describe the
partitioning process, and the installation of a boot manager. It does
not describe the capabilities of the boot manager in terms of

      Where it resides?
      How many operating systems can it recognize?
      Beside switching to a selected operating system
           Can it activate the selected primary partition and
          deactivate the other primary partitions?
           Can it hide and reveal partitions (primary as well as
          logical) to aid the definition of the scope of view of an
          operating system?

I would appreciate if someone could shred some light on these issues to
help me to decide whether I should try to attempt to install freeBSD.

Thanks                                            László

--------------AFA07A2641229A987911D6A8

<HTML>
&nbsp;Hi,

<P>In your installation manual, in section 2.2.1, you state that&nbsp;
"Once you have booted from DOS or floppy, you should then be able to select
CDROM at the media type in the Media menu and load the entire distribution
from CDROM."&nbsp; Before I would hit the Enter key, however, I like to
know something more about the destination of that loading!&nbsp; The manual
does not deal with installation prerequisites in terms of required number,
type (primary/logical), and size of disk partitions for native freeBSD,
swap and other required or optional partitions; does not describe the partitioning
process, and the installation of a boot manager. It does not describe the
capabilities of the boot manager in terms of
<UL>&nbsp;Where it resides?
<BR>&nbsp;How many operating systems can it recognize?
<BR>&nbsp;Beside switching to a selected operating system
<UL>&nbsp;Can it activate the selected primary partition and&nbsp;&nbsp;
deactivate the other primary partitions?
<BR>&nbsp;Can it hide and reveal partitions (primary as well as&nbsp;&nbsp;
logical) to aid the definition of the scope of view of an operating system?</UL>
</UL>
&nbsp;
<BR>I would appreciate if someone could shred some light on these issues
to help me to decide whether I should try to attempt to install freeBSD.

<P>Thanks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
L&aacute;szl&oacute;</HTML>