Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:11:17 GMT
From:      ovb@ovb.ch (Oliver von Bueren)
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uppercase characters in logins

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 12:04:56 +1100, you wrote:

>>         I am supporting several mailing lists on my machine.  For some reason
>> I cannot send mail to people that have uppercase letters in their login
>> names.  They claim they are getting mail from other people, so I assume that
>> my machine is at fault.  I am using standard sendmail with basically the
>> standard sendmail.cf (my domain has been added along with the spam rules).
>All (well at least all I know of) mail daemons convert the username to
>lower case before delivering email into a local mailbox. You should
>never allow accounts to be created with uppercase letters if you want
>your system to function normally. Note that when all lowercase letters
>are used for the account, the email address may have uppercase in it
>since sendmail will make everything lowercase.

If it is realy a must to support case sensitive user account names,
try using EXIM instead of sendmail. This is a quite powerfull mail
agent which supports it, if configured to (not the default). But: it
is quite different to configure it compared to sendmail, although I
think it is somewhat easier than sendmail.

You can get it at ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/exim,
the latest production release is 1.82. There is also a website at
http://www.exim.org.

Concerning Spam filtering, this mail agent also supports the Realtime
Blocking List (RBL) (http://maps.vix.com/rbl/) and can be configured
to prevent relaying.

       Cheers,
       Oliver

 ¦ Oliver von Bueren                                        ovb@ovb.ch ¦
 ¦ Schlierenstr. 42                                         www.ovb.ch ¦
 ¦ 8142 Uitikon                                            Switzerland ¦
 ¦ VoicePhone: ++41-1-4958181                                          ¦
 ¦ Attention: TimeZone GMT+1 -> VoiceCalls only 09.00-21.00 local time ¦