Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:32:32 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), cjclark@home.com, Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca (Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group), dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump(8) Insecurity/Misconfiguration

> > [ Rod, you *really* need to get out more ]
>
> What, I spent 5 hours yesterday cleaning the side yard at the shop, is
> that ``out'' enough for you :-) :-) :-)

No, cause it's work related.  Go jump out of a plane or something. :)

[
Rod asserts that using SSH for backups is a revenue-generating task, and
as such violates the 'free' use of the SSH license.
]

> I'll bet you dollars to a dog turd that the SSH licensor considers this
> a licensable situation.

I've got the dog turd, so the bet is on.

>>> You may also find that the license fee is quite low for what you
>>> want to do.
>>
>> NOT!

> Then it is even more likely to be outside of the scope of the shareware
> license.

It's not a shareware license, or even close to one.  It basically says
that if you make money from using this product (not, if you make money
*AND* use this product), then you must pay for it.

The amount of money you pay is not dependant on how much money you make,
it's a fixed fee based on the the number of 'machines' it's installed
on.

(Last I bought the commercial product, it was $2K/CPU, but that was a
couple of years ago.)

We pay this, but it's because we needed some additional features that
the commercial version had.  I could have hacked the code myself, but
that assumed I could do it less than 40 hours, and I doubt I could have
it done/tested/documented in that amount of time, hence we just bought
it for the one box that needed the feature.

The other boxes all run the 'free' version.

However, $2K/seat is alot of money for an ISP to charge for something as
trivial as backups, especially when minimum cost is $4K (one for the
tape server, and one for the remote client).

It's simply not worth it, IMO.

Nate