Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:24:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Christian Jachmann <jachmann@gigabell.net>, Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>, "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Off-topic News: WAS: Re: 3.4-Stable crashes..(heavy diskio+networking)

I guess it's been longer than I had realized since we switched
from local news to outsourcing.  (Believe me I've been happy to NOT have
that nightmare)

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	In fact, there are some things that Diablo can do that even
> Cyclone/bCandid can't, and there are major news sites that may run
> Cyclone on their news peers (they don't want to drop too far out of
> the Top Ten), but they prefer Diablo and that is what is on their
> news spool & news reader servers.

When I last evaluated these, diablo was (I believe) either not capable of
supporting readers or something else threw it out of the running....

Then again, that was before we switched from the Slow Solaris Boxes....

> INN can be pretty cranky, if you don't have it configured just right.

Amen.

Has there been any progress made on a decent news CACHE software?

I'd love to try something the likes of nntpcache, but hopefully something
that works better than nntpcache did a couple of years ago.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ