Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:15:38 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Cc:        "'jkh@time.cdrom.com'" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, "'j_mini@efn.org'" <j_mini@efn.org>, "'freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Config datafile...

Hmmm. No flames about SGML (read below), but I will yell azt you for using a
mailer that doesn't generate In-Reply-To headers. These headers allow mailers
like mutt to keep all incoming messages sotrted by threads, and without them
the threads get all mixed up. Most mailers generate them, except for a few.
  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE upgrade to a mailer that will generate In-Reply-To
headers.

Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com> stands accused of saying:

> I don't want to start a flame war here, but I've heard the
> topic of a configuration file that needed to be both
> ASCII and vi/emacs editable as well as store relational
> data as well.
>
> Allow me to spread the evangelism a wee tad and mention
> SGML/XML.  This would give the advantage of encoding
> multiple aspects of the kernel config data in a single
> ASCII (technically, Unicode) file.

   I was thinking about using SGML actually, but I hadn't got that far. We'll
see about whether or not it turns out to be the easiest format to deal with.
I think it might. For example :

<option class=vfs name=msdosfs>
	<desc>MDSDOS FAT Filesystem</desc>
	<man section=4 name="msdosfs">
</option>

  You get the idea. We'll see.

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."