Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:55:57 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

--Mjqg7Yu+0hL22rav

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 05:28:34AM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
>=20
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Alex Dupre wrote:
>=20
> >Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> >>I'm happy to inform that the ZFS file system is now part of the FreeBSD
> >>operating system.
> >
> >Congratulations! You're great!
> >
> >>  - There is no support for booting off of ZFS file system.
> >
> >Even booting kernel from a removable ufs media and then mounting a zfs r=
oot via vfs.root.mountfrom?
>=20
> I believe the key issue here is that the boot loader doesn't yet support =
ZFS. In 6.x and 7.x, the mechanism for mounting the root file system is ide=
ntical to all other file=20
> systems, so it should be possible to use any file system as the root file=
 system as long as you get can get the kernel up and running. And, in the c=
ase of ZFS, the ZFS=20
> module loaded (since it currently must be a module).

You are right in general, but it isn't really true for ZFS currently.
There are two very small issues:

1. Prefered way to mount ZFS file system is via 'zfs mount' command, but=20
it can be mounted using old way as well, so this really shouldn't be an
issue.

2. ZFS kernel module read /etc/zfs/zpool.cache file on load by accessing
it via file system. We would need to change it to load this file via
loader. Shouldn't be hard.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--Mjqg7Yu+0hL22rav