Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:26:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATM Frame Relay vs P2P?

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Robin Melville wrote:

> Does anyone have any thoughts/experience of the benefits or otherwise of
> hooking to backbone via ATM Frame Relay as opposed to Point to Point?

If you mean IP-over-frame-over-ATM is offered by MFS, for example, the
overheads involved are small and the service is for all practical
purposes point-to-point.

We can only comment upon MFS's service in detail by private mail ;-)

Some carriers drop packets mercilessly; this can seriously disrupt
TCP/IP traffic.  You get your bandwidth, but if you lose a single
ATM cell a frame relay packet is lost, and if you lose an IP packet
you lose bandwidth because of TCP retransmissions.  It's not the
protocol that's the problem, it's the carrier that needs checking
out.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015