Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2004 08:11:14 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:30:17PM -0800, Avleen Vig wrote:
>A simple website which lets you choose what drivers you want (anyone
>seen the .muttrc config page? :)
>That should be really easy to do with a little perl CGI.
>I might take a crack at this in the next week or so.

FWIW, Plan-9 ( http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/index.html ) does
this: You describe your hardware via a WEB form and the site spits out
a boot floppy customised to your hardware.  In order for this to be
practical, we'd need to avoid having to fully compile a custom kernel
- we'd probably need to develop and use the a 'binary distribution'
approach (as for all the commercial Unices).

Peter