Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 20:24:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Raistrick <keen@damoe.wireless-isp.net>
To:        Matt Rudderham <matt@researcher.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Loren Koss <loren@pciway.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: I deleted my shell by mistake!!

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Matt Rudderham wrote:

> >don't don't change root's shell!

> Why should the root shell not be changed? I am also kind of new I guess. I

The theory that I have always heard about changing the root shell is not
to change it to something that is not based in / .

The reasoning behind this is that if you lose your /usr (or
whatever) slice, you still have access to your root account.  Of course,
I've never had a problem with this (mind you, I never managed to delete
the shell I was using whilst in multiuser mode...)since when you boot
single user, it /asks/ you what shell to use, and doesnt give a rats ass
what is in the master.passwd file.....

This is the only theory I've heard as to not changing your shell to a
shell not based off of /...(mind you, if you go deleting /bin/sh or
something, you're pretty much hosed all around..though i guess that does
leave you /bin/csh to use in single user to get things working after a
damn good bit of work...)

Anyway, I'd love to hear a sound reason why to never change your root
shell at all.. (I've never heard of that before, either...)

And any more theories about not changing it to something off of /, if you
have them.;)

....david (100% tcsh since '89)

--
David Raistrick		Digital Wireless Communications
davidr@dwcinet.com