Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:32:55 +1000
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        Jim <vashquez@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems w/isp0 on MiataGL since 4.7-RELEASE

At 11:28 AM 14/04/03, Jim sent this up the stick:
>I tried adding:
>ispfw_load="YES"
>to /boot/loader.conf.  The module was then loaded at boot time, but I
>still have similar messages, along with new messages to the effect of:
>
>isp0: Auto Request Sense failed for 0.10.0

<snip>

>Since you mentioned the SRM, I should add that I have V7.2-1, which I
>believe is the most recent for this PWS600au, at least according to
>http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/digitalpw.html.
>If there's more information I can provide from the SRM or kernel, I'll
>be glad to do so.

What is the output of  'sho pkc* is SRM?  Make sure that the variables are
set as follows:

pkc0_mode               ultra
pkc0_soft_term  on

If they are, then you may like to try a new SCSI cable.

>The only other oddity I have seen (and this is on both functioning and
>non-functioning kernels) is the line:
>
>isp0: invalid NVRAM header
>
>Not sure if that helps indicate a specific version of the Qlogic
>hardware or firmware.

Hmm .. sounds like you have more a hardware problem than a FreeBSD
problem.  My PWS 500au uses the inbuilt ISP fine.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Disk space - the final frontier!

This is random quote 428 of 1254.

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5