Date:      Wed, 08 Apr 1998 20:44:08 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Summary: shopping for new video adapter

Greg Lehey writes:
> On Tue,  7 April 1998 at 23:30:59 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> > Have never used a multi-headed X server. How does it establish the
> > relationship between monitors?
>
> unix:0.0 and unix:0.1.  The config file contains a section for each
> monitor, and the numbers are assigned in the order in which they
> appear in the config file.
>
> > How do you move the mouse from one to the next?
>
> Sideways.  There's a sideways wraparound.  This makes virtual screens
> (larger display than glass, and panning) a real pain, if it wasn't
> before.  Otherwise, though, it runs fine.

Reminds me, the RasterOps ClearVue GS/30 19" greyscale system I added
to my SE/30 had the outrageous for its day, "virtual desktop with
hardware pan and zoom." While its nominal resolution was 1024x768x8
bits one could select 8192x768x1. While the monitor was single-sync and
still drew the same picture, moving the mouse off the right edge
triggered the hardware panning. Was fun to play with but the mouse
strokes were too much on the forearm. There might have been keystrokes
to pan, I didn't use it enough to remember.

> > On the Mac, the mouse simply slides from monitor to monitor.
>
> That's the way.

However, the additional Mac monitors may be above or below the others.
You graphically establish their relationship in the Monitors Control
Panel. Its possible to fine tune each monitor's postion down to the
pixel. Ends up with one irregular shaped "desktop". Sounds like X
implements multiple desktops that are only related by the ability to
move the mouse pointer off one onto the other.