Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:50:33 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Innovation and Promotion

Apropos the recent thread:

When it comes to new technology, you have two forces at work, the
innovators and the promoters. Microsoft has never innovated anything.
But they have done excellent work at promotion. The Unix family has done
great innovation but has fallen down when it comes to promotion.

Without Xerox PARC, BSD UNIX, and many others, there would be nothing
for Microsoft to promote. Despite their blunders and frequent lapses of
ethics, they have managed what everyone else (with the exception of
Apple) in the industry has failed to understand: what the customer
really wants. And so they have become a monopoly without even trying
hard, because no one else is even attempting to compete on the same
playing field.

The the average customer doesn't want technology. If they did Microsoft
would have been out of business years ago and all computers would ship
with Unix/BSD/Linux by default. What the customer wants instead are the
*benefits* of technology. They don't want TCP/IP, they just to surf the
web and read their email. They don't want X11R6/GTK+/QT/Motif, they want
a desktop that isn't ugly. They don't want OpenGL, DRI, or even DirectX
(for that matter), they only want their games to run smoothly and
quickly.

When someone knows what the technology is and what it means, then there
is no need to promote the benefits. This is why Unix is a favorite among
techies. But until very recently, and only in a few corners of the Linux
camp, has the Unix community even considered promoting the benefits of
their technology.

We have a long way to catch up to Microsoft. Complaining about their
monopoly status won't help at all. It won't make any difference if
Microsoft get's broken up, because there will still be a Windows out
there somewhere and it will be preloaded on all the new computers and it
will run all the new games on the store shelves. If we want to take
market share away from Windows we have to understand that market and
sell to it. And be patient.

We don't have a problem selling to the technology elite. But we are
clueless when it comes to selling to the average Joe on the street. The
new Unix/BSD/Linux isn't any more difficult than the old DOS/Win3 combo.
Easier in many ways in fact. But the old DOS/Win3 is what got Microsoft
its monopoly. All the elements are there if we want to succeed in the
market.