Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 12:14:18 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        ak03@gte.com (Alexander N. Kabaev), dmmiller@cvzoom.net (Donn Miller), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Overwhelming messages from /sys/netinet/if_ether.c

> > The message in question can be extremely useful in case there is IP address
> > clash on the local network. I suggest we just change the code in question to
> > ignore clashes over 0.0.0.0 address only.
>
> No, don't do that, anyone arping 0.0.0.0 on any network around here
> I sure as heck want to know about it asap!

Then use a tool designed for the job.  You'll only get this message on a
system that's a DHCP client and currently trying to get a lease.  I don't
think that you would ever get any utility from the code as it stands, so
the change is not going to affect you.

(Note that if you were to configure a system to listen on 0.0.0.0 in
 order to use this message, you would then be arping for 0.0.0.0, which
 would appear to defeat your purpose.)

Can I kindly suggest that you go find a bridge or a dam or some
gun-control law to go oppose for a few months?  This random sniper
activity is pretty irritating. 8(