Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:59:07 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netboot from a 100Mbps PCI card?

> We need to netboot a few diskless clients from a server, using
> FastEthernet PCI network cards (not yet purchased, but we would
> prefer intel EtherExpress 10/100, or maybe some DEC 21140-based
> cards).
>
> The problem is that /sys/i386/boot/netboot doesn't seem to
> support _any_ PCI cards.  :-(

No, it doesn't.

> Is someone working on netboot code for any FastEthernet PCI
> cards, or maybe is there even working code somewehere?
> Any other hints how to solve the problem?

Eric Hearnes (erich@freebsd.org) has code for the Intel ExtherExpress
Pro/100.

You can also get boot PROMs for almost any ethernet card from InCom at
www.incom.de.  Their product is pretty good, and not too expensive; you
shouldn't have any trouble booting FreeBSD with this, although I
haven't tried their demo again for a few months.