Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 01:22:42 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net> wrote:

> >      Yeah.  As long as you avoid motherboards with the VIA KT133A/KT133
> >chipset and the VIA 686B Southbridge, you're probably fine (not all such
> >motherboards supposedly have problems, but how do you tell the
> >difference?).  For more info, check out:
>
> This is total nonsense.

     Do a google groups search on "via chipset ide corruption".  You
might be surprised at what you find.  Just because you don't have
problems, doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.

[ After scanning some of the hits, it seems that a new BIOS might fix
  the problem.  ]

> Some people may feel differently (As may I once the nForce is out and field
> tested) in the future, but for now, I wouldn't even consider any Athlon
> motherboard without a VIA chipset; The exception, of course, being AthlonMP

     Heh.  I'm writing this on an Asus A7M266 (I didn't want to wait for
the nForce).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com