Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:05:25 -0800
From:      Nick Jennings <nkj@namodn.com>
To:        David.E.Tweten@nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad Hibernation

Hi Dave,

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:20:13PM -0800, Dave Tweten wrote:

> 2. I hate to say this, but for the multi-user machine, Win2k has a nice
>    feature.  It can be configured to let someone who doesn't have an
>    account turn off the computer in a civilized manner from the login
>    dialog box.  Is there a good way to do the same thing under FreeBSD
>    at the XFree86 xdm login?  Of course the ACPI 2.0b spec's power switch
>    event would be the perfect way to handle this for both OS's, but I
>    doubt anyone will implement driver and daemon for that 500-page monster
>    any time soon.

 I know this can be done with X. I've seen it with GDM and KDM, never
 with XDM but that is only because I never use XDM, or Display Managers
 in general for that matter.

 In GDM, there a GUI configuration application that allows you to set this
 up. Not sure how it's done in XDM but I would be willing to bet it can
 be done. Try hitting Google for some hints.

- Nick Jennings