Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:58:34 -0600
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 25238 for review

* De: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> [ Data: 2003-02-15 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: PERFORCE change 25238 for review ]
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 01:47:37PM -0800, Juli Mallett wrote:
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=25238
> >
> > Change 25238 by jmallett@jmallett_dalek on 2003/02/15 13:47:10
> >
> > 	Integrate config(8) from trunk, and apply local patches with the
> > 	new list style in mind.
>
> BTW: Did you make any progress with config(8) and how to deal
> with platforms, or did you kind of drop it for now?

I am carrying on one private conversation currently making sure I have not
misunderstood an issue (i.e. making sure something is not an issue), and
then I plan to commit it as "useful infrastructure", and probably note that
it should be considered orhtogonal to making keywords like "machine" not
lie (i.e. someone could change "machine" to "machine_arch" or "arch", and
things would be cool), and that it does nothing but provide an interesting
configuration/build abstraction, should someone choose to use it.  And
mention that MIPS "will" (i.e. does) and PowerPC will (will).  The only
extra "progress" I've made so far is a wholly-useful %PLATFORM for Makefiles,
useful for e.g. including per-platform makefile glue, in the architecture
build glue.

Thanx,
juli.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org> - AIM: BSDFlata -- IRC: juli on EFnet
OpenDarwin, Mono, FreeBSD Developer - ircd-hybrid Developer, EFnet addict