Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 16:59:22 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
Cc:        Casper <casper@acc.am>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BESS internet filtering

Phillip Salzman wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.4.05.9812261539420.5027-100000@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>:
> 	I was mostly interested if someone knows about the legal status
> 	of doing something like this.  Will we lose our carrier status
> 	as an ISP, and become provider of internet content?  Have you

ISPs have never had Common Carrier Status in the United States. CC
Status needs to be assigned by Congress. However, I suggest you read
parts of the first CDA (especially the bits which didn't get
overturned) as I believe they have some relevance to this.

> 	ever heard of someone being sued due to finding pornography
> 	when it was supposed to be filtered (even though we will say
> 	"This does not entirely remove..."), etc.

The only *real* way to totally filter content is to use `allow' lists,
rather than exclude lists. I personally don't think that content
filtering is the job of the ISP, with or without disclaimers.

Gary