Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:49:12 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>, "" <re@FreeBSD.ORG>, "" <hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RELEASE bits for i386, pc98, sparc64, and alpha are up

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Peter Wemm wrote:

> I'm in for removing them.  It adds a sh!tload of pathnames and directories
> for mirroring, and I'm pretty sure it accounts for a huge chunk of memory

you've got my vote too.  i don't have a problem with sites which are
mirroring putting them into the ftp tree (for want of any other better
place) but removing it from ftp-master would definitely be a good
thing (tm), in particular if it allows for more rsync connections.

the source trees, web site, mailing list etc should be maintained by
tier1s using cvsup and by tier2s using cvsup or syncing from the tier1s
using ftp or rsync (if that is needed).

basically ftp-master would look a lot cleaner if it had:

/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/
			i386/
			ia64/
			sparc64/
			pc98/

/pub/FreeBSD/ports/alpha/
			i386/
			ia64/
			sparc64/
			distfiles/
			local-distfiles/

/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/
/pub/FreeBSD/tools/

and then mirrors might add directories into this such as the source
trees, and so on.

regards,

-jason