Date:      Fri, 23 May 97 14:37:41 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "James FitzGibbon" <james@nexis.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BIND 4.9.5-p1 not on HEAD ?

On Wed, 21 May 1997 22:51:32 -0400 (EDT), James FitzGibbon wrote:

>I notice that the latest version of bind in the contrib tree is v4.9.4-p1.
>v4.9.5-p1 has been imported, but it's on two trees : ISC and VIXIE.  Is
>this going to be moved onto the head branch and the RELENG_2_2 branches ?
>
>There are, I believe, a couple of holes for which v4.9.5 is recommended
>over v4.9.4.

	I have asked this question myself, never got an answer.  Jordan
commented on it in list mail today, so perhaps something is actually going
to be done now?  With all due respect to the FreeBSD team, this is a long
overdue change.  In fact, if you are going to make the change now, you may
as well consider waiting for 4.9.5-P2 which is expected "any day now" from
the ISC.  It is scheduled to include the same security fixes as 8.1(.1)
and as many of the performance enhancements as do not depend on the switch
to the 8.1 model.

	Ideally FreeBSD could incorporate both 8.x and 4.9.5-Px and ask
which one you want to use at install time.  As much as I'd like to see 8.1
moved into the "industry standard" I am afraid that the learning curve
plus the inability to edit the libs are good reasons to stick with 4.9.5
as the default for now.

	In any case, I'm glad to hear that some action will be taken, it's
about time.

Doug

PS, additional information can be found at http://www.isc.org with whom I
have no affiliation other than using their stuff. :)

You cannot bemoan the loss of that
	which you did not fight to protect.