Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 11:28:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I2O only available under NDA?

Brett Glass stands accused of saying:
> At 12:27 PM 7/11/97 -0400, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM wrote:
>
> >I think you can make a pretty strong case that I2O is there to cover for
> >the performance failings of Windows/NT.
> >ron
>
> Whether or not it is, it'll never be a contender unless it's open.

Not so sure, given the nature of its closedness.  This one is "join
the cabal and reap its rewards", not "pay us money for every box you
move".  Commercial orgs aren't going to gripe about this sort of deal
- it could almost be aimed _directly_ at the free software community
and small developers.

> The representative's lame excuse regarding patents is bogus, by the way.
> The patents apply only to the hardware, not software.

Are you sure about this?  It wouldn't surprise me if there are
software patents involved as well, but I have no details.