Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 14:10:40 -0400
From:      Steve Dixon <S.Dixon@BOM.Gov.au>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd installation

Gooday,

I have installed freebsd onto a newish PC with a PCI motherboard, AMD
586 processor, 16Mb RAM.

Everything went just fine, but I'm having a hard time getting themouse
to work so that I can install XFree86.

It is a serial mouse on com1. dmesg shows up sio0 on IRQ4, and I
understand /dev/tty00 corresponds to com1. However, I cannot find either
of these devices in /dev. I have tried sh MAKEDEV tty00 and get no error
but tty00 does not appear. Perhaps I'm being a bit slow here, but what
am I doing wrong? The documentation on the web site doesnt seem to cover
this, nor does the freebsd ps manual.

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve Dixon

steved@ice.net.au