Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:07:45 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlist2@HotPOP.com>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Old Way Was Better

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:31:13 +0100
Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk> wrote:

> Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
>
> >You'll recruit more testers by making releases and you'll recruit even
> >more by naming the releases well.  What "well" is is the problem,
> >because name choices have other effects too.
> >

> I agree except you will NOT recruit testers by making releases in this
> way. You will make enemies.
>
> If something is named a -RELEASE, I and the rest of the planet expect it
> to be production ready code, capable of going into a live environment
> and the kind of software that I should be able to buy in a
> shrink-wrapped box.

Hehe, right up on the web site it says New Technology Release with right below
it is listed Production Release.

Yes, it should probally be made more obvious for ppl that are unwilling to read
any of the documentation for the OS they are installing. My theory thought is
that ppl that are unwilling to read documentation are just naturally 100%
totally screwed so it does not make much dif what OS they use.

> If it is NOT production ready, it should be named as such. It should
> have a -BETA in the name. It should DEFINITELY not be named a -RELEASE.
> I know the amount of work that's gone into 5.x, and I know that there is
> a need for testers. What has happened with 5.x though is an absolute
> travesty. I know a lot of people will never, ever trust the FreeBSD
> release engineers again - they will refuse to run code released as a
> -RELEASE until they've heard it's safe. In effect, we've lost
> "customers". We've lost potential testers. We've lost new users,
> potential developers and people prepared to throw money at the project.
> We've lost a lot, because we -RELEASE'ed something before it was
> release-ready.

Yeah yeah,  sticking BETA in there would be nice. What would also be uber nice
is some link pointing towards a page with  a list of known problems with it and
progress on killing those bugs.

Personally I like the name UNSTABLE or NON-PRODUCTION my self.