Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:10:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Johan Karlsson <k@numeri.campus.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/17774: stray irq7

The following reply was made to PR kern/17774; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Johan Karlsson <k@numeri.campus.luth.se>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:10:44 +0200

 Hi

 Every now and then a mail or PR pops up with this question.

 I search the FreeBSD web pages for info about this but did not
 find any, maybe I just missed it.

 I suggest the following is added to the faq
 =============
 Q: What does 'stray irq' mean?
 A: Stray irq are interupts from some hardware that do not have
 a driver assigned to it. J Wunsch writes in a response to a PR
 "Stray IRQs are a known phenomenon.  Obviously (if you think
 about it :), there's nothing the kernel could do about it.
 Unless you have misconfigured your kernel so there's no driver
 assigned to a device that actually issues IRQs, they are a sign
 of flakey hardware, often caused by glitches on an IRQ line."

 You have three choices:
  1) Live with the warnings
  2) Get a driver for the hardware into your kernel
  3) Remove the hardware that generates the interrupts

 The PR refered to is 2017
 http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=2017

 /Johan K